Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pinterest Challenge - Dock Box inspired iphone amp

Since Sherry & Katie's last Pinterest Challege this fall (where I made a chalkboard map), I had been eagerly awaiting the next one!  It's such inspiration looking through everyone's projects!!!

http://createandbabble.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/winter-challenge.jpg

Ok, so this round I had a few ideas: wallpapering the entry way ceiling & tiling a herringbone pattern on the floor in there were a couple of contenders, but ultimately I chose a smaller scale project...a wooden iphone/ipod amplifier.  The thing doesn't use electricity.  The sound from the iphone's built-in speakers gets sent through channels in the wood, & out through holes.  The concept is kind of like how sound gets amplified through the hollow inside of a guitar/violin/etc.  Neato.

Here's the final product...in the place I think we'll use it second most...the loo.   (Once summer hits I'm positive we'll use it on the porch daily.)

It's pretty, completely portable (no need for an outlet) - & best of all it WORKS!


I've seen a few versions on Pinterest from this Etsy Store...and I found plans here

The thing was pretty simple & straightforward to make, but you do need some "more than basic" tools to do it.  Luckily I know someone who has a huge workshop that's the envy of the neighborhood - thanks dad!  :)  Let's get to the pics...

That's my dad...he's always willing to help me out with my crazy projects...he's the best.


I can't wait to get home from work & jam.  ;)

18 comments:

  1. This is awesome! It totally looks like something you should BUY not MAKE! Great job. Love the pop of color too.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I'm really loving it too!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, this is awesome! Adding this to my to do list, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great! Who knew a nice iPod speaker could be (relatively) easy to DIY?! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I think it took maybe 3.5 hours to do???

      Delete
  4. Wow!! Who knew you could make this? It looks so simple? Also, I love the lime green paint- gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey! It was a super fun project - I can totally see myself making more as gifts. :)

      Delete
  5. What a great project! Love the fact that it amplifies the sound all by itself... definitely great to have outside in the summertime!

    ps. The chalkboard map you did last time is absolutely awesome too. And very impressive! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Can't wait to bring it outside this summer...who am I kidding...I just can't wait for summer period. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, that looks great! Reminds me of the one John from YHL has.

    ~em @ small girl, big world

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this is great.
    i am going to try to get my wood working father in law to make me like... 20 of these... one for every room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way - I could totally use a couple more!

      Delete
  8. This is fabulous! I love the green trim and the fact that it doesn't need an outlet. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wait where are the measurements? any more complex directions than just pictues? i love it though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how it came out. The colors are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips